Friday, July 23, 2010

The Blood in this Town Reveals the
DYNAMICS OF RUTLAND


[Who We’ve Interviewed - #5 of 33]


SHARON CROSBY of the U.S. Postal Service


“There’s a lot of people that have the mentality of not wanting change and not wanting to go out of their comfort zone, they’ve kind of set in their ways. I got myself out of my comfort zone a couple years ago. I think people should just open their hearts to other people.” – Sharon Crosby

Rutland’s own Sharon Crosby has been delivering mail with the U.S. Postal Service for the past 24 years. The Blood in this Town first met Sharon at the Gift-of-Life Marathon last December where, adorned in a Santa hat, she cheerfully agreed to an interview while donating blood.

Crosby participated because, as she notes, “I wanted to help somebody else out that might need my blood and as a Christian, I felt it that was deeply important. Rutland will help anybody and everybody out if there is a need.”

Crosby loves her postal route because she knows everyone on it and likes working outside. “All my customers become like family,” she says, and the route which has her walking five miles a day, five days a week, keeps her finger on the pulse of what’s going on in town, good and bad. She sees Rutland’s challenges and its small victories, up close, in the day-to-day lives of her customers. And that’s strengthened her resolve to reach out and lend a hand beyond her own immediate world.

Crosby states, “We have a place in Rutland called the Dismas House and it’s for prisoners who just came out of jail to transition back into society, that’s one of our missions in our church. The residents at Dismas have taught me to be more forgiving of people and of people’s actions because before I’d be like ‘they’ve been in jail, they’ve done this, I don’t want anything to do with them.’ But no one’s perfect and people make mistakes and it has just made me more open to everyone.”




CHECK OUT TRAILER FOR "The Blood in this Town" 
http://www.bloodinthistown.com

No comments:

Post a Comment